03 January 2022

COVID-19: THE EXPERIMENT. SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

We noted before New Year that for someone fully-vaxed who has had Omicron, and is not clinically vulnerable, they are theoretically more immune to any variant of COVID-19 than at any time in this pandemic:

  • Unlikely to be re-infected with Omicron
  • Well immune to Delta and earlier variants
  • Unlikely to be seriously ill, if do get infected

As a result, being 'free' to live life as if before the pandemic, subject to taking sensible precautions.  And being mindful that immunity can wane.

But we can't just say it.  We have to test it. In the spirit of many scientists of previous generations, making myself the subject:

  • Passing the day 6 and day 7 Lateral Flow tests just in time to get out to a major crowded event for New Year's Eve (NYE)
  • Throwing an 8-hour all-nighter in a crowded sweaty night club the night after

Inevitably being exposed to Omicron and Delta, despite the venues checking for negative LFTs or vaccination.  Some people would have been brewing one of the variants, and become infectious during the event.  

I had had 4 daily negative Lateral Flow Test before going out on NYE.  Well clear of infection, so no longer infectious.

Indeed I've now heard four people I met at the NYE event have since tested positive, likely Omicron, with that event the only feasible source of infection.  Two others remained negative.

So, what about my LFT result after these events?   

Omicron grows in the nose very fast.  On Monday 3rd, it's more than 24 hours since leaving that nightclub, more than 48 hours after NYE.  If I'd been re-infected, a Lateral Flow Test should show positive by now.  It's negative.  I've passed.  

So far so good.  But I'll be taking daily tests, which will monitor the situation daily to allow me to carry out my volunteer work.  Testing probably for weeks to come.  If I can get hold of tests.  First box secured!

UPDATE 4 JANUARY

Hurrah!  Negative LFT today.  So, 3 days after end of NYE event and 2 days after end of NYD event:

  • I have not been re-infected by Omicron
  • I have not caught Delta or any other variant
  • Freedom

.Daily tests will continue to make sure on an ongoing basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts