28 December 2021

COVID-19: ALREADY NEGATIVE

I've woken up this morning full of the joys of spring.  Well, full of the joys of Isolation at Twixtmas.

Having tested positive on Boxing Day, two days ago, could I already have overcome COVID?  A negative LFT provides the answer, using the same brand and box as was positive 2 days ago.  Though I cannot rely on one test alone. No guarantee I am yet virus-free.

Will try again tomorrow.  [Drum roll:  Negative again] In any case I cannot legally leave isolation until 7 days are up.

But looks like my jabs and booster has prepared my body for the COVID onslaught.  Flattening the curce, and/or getting the infection to turn down more quickly.

 

This graph suggests an LFT should be able to detect infection betweem 3 and 8 days after exposure to the virus.  Though this is just a guide.  Everybody and every infection is different  As discussed here, the most likely source of my infection was less than 36 hours before the positive LFT, consistent with the rapid growth of Omicron.

Now just three and a half days after infection, it looks like I may no longer be infectious.  But will continue to self-isolate just in case.  And of course to comply with the law.

2 comments:

  1. Sure, you could still be infected, but isn't the point of the lateral flow test to tell you if you are infectious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broadly, yes, but not precisely. The diagram suggests there is a direct correlation but:
      (1) The graph in this blogpost was for earlier variants, and is not necessarily relevant for Omicron. Timescales seem to be quicker for Omicron
      (2) Whether someone is infectious is not precise. Coughing? Talking? Simply breathing? Kissing?

      Delete

Popular Posts