14 September 2020

COVID-19: SO WHY IS IT WORTH GETTING A 'FLU JAB?

Listening to the radio this morning, David Dean, Chief Officer of "Pharmacy Thames Valley", which represents retail chemists across Berkshire and Oxfordshire, advised that pharmacies have this year's influenza jabs in stock ready to administer. Or you can go your doctor's surgery.

Many people get the jabs free of charge, but otherwise you can pay.  But why bother?  What possible advantage would a jab provide in the fight against COVID-19?

Firstly Richard Bradley, Director of Pharmacy at Boots, points out "the flu vaccination does not prevent COVID-19 in any way".  But Richard and David mention significant benefits:
  • To you:
    • As ever, it is well worth getting the vaccine to prevent 'flu and its potential nasty complications, especially if you're in a vulnerable group
    • 'Flu weakens you, and makes you more vulnerable to COVID-19.  Better to be stronger.
  • To society:
    • It will "help reduce the risk of the NHS becoming overwhelmed with both cases of flu and COVID-19"
So I popped in to my local chemist who gave me a jab last December.  Should I get mine done now?  "The jabs will be in Wednesday, sir.  I suggest you get it done asap."

I'll let them practice on others first.  But the sooner the better, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts