08 September 2020

COVID-19: TAKING THE PLUNGE WITH MY BEARD

Mask and visor compulsory 
Yesterday we looked at risk.  In particular whether it was worth taking the risk of sitting in a barbers shop to get my hair cut for the first time since February, and especially to get my 'lockdown beard' trimmed.  That type of close work has only been allowed for a couple of weeks.

I have had a rule not to be inside with other people unless essential, such as to buy food.  I had identified just one barber locally who seemed to be following all the important rules and advice. Risk acceptable. But I walked away when someone was queuing inside without wearing a mask.  If they were infectious, they would be leaving clouds of virus-laden micro-droplets in the still air of the shop.  No thanks.

How to get served without that risk?  Overnight I realised the solution to this conundrum was to be first customer when the shop opened in the morning.  Furthermore I had better be quick.  With new infections rising rapidly, the threat of such personal services being banned again is rising.  As is the possibility of a more general lockdown, here locally or nationally.

Sean
So before the opportunity to have my ears lowered disappeared, this morning I took the plunge.  I succeeded in being first customer, with nobody else arriving in the time I was there.  The barber assured me that the shop had been deep-cleaned the previous evening, and he had arrived early to clean the barber's chair again with 70% alcohol.

He donned his mask and visor and got to work. This is my very first beard.  I have only ever been clean-shaven before this year.  I had been advised to get my first beard trim done professionally, and I was delighted with the way he tapered the length where it was growing less thickly.

They now call me Sean.  He also had a spare visor he was happy to sell me.  I much prefer to see and try on anything that I wear, rather than trust to the internet.  Each to their own.

As to barber Jay, great service.  I will be back.


Damon Hill perhaps?
Update 18/9/20:  Indeed I was back. With Oxford on Amber alert again, I wanted before any lockdown to adopt the recommendation from pals to shave off my sideburns .  So back to the barber shop before it opened first thing to be in before anyone else.  Weekly visits now?


Update  25/9/20: My first weekly visit.  A quick tidy up, trying the beard a tad longer.  I've never sported a beard before, so a weekly pampering is a new pleasure.  Only a tenner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts